Ever heard of Mansa Musa I of Mali? Well he was a king who ruled West Africa in the 14th century and has been named the richest person in history in a new inflation-adjusted list of the world’s 25 wealthiest people of all time.
Spanning 1,000 years and with a combined fortune of $4.317trillion, only three of the list’s 25 are alive today; none of them are women and 14 of them are American.
Here’s the list:
1. MANSA MUSA I – $400 BILLION (BORN 1280) Born in 1280, he ruled West Africa’s Malian Empire which covered modern day Ghana, Timbuktu and Mali. His country’s production of more than half the world’s supply of salt and gold contributed to Musa’s vast wealth, which he used to build large mosques that still stand today. He had a personal net worth of $400billion at the time of his death in 1331.
2. ROTHSCHILD FAMILY – $350 BILLION (BORN 1744) Mayer Amschel Rothschild was the founding father of international finance, and thanks to him his heirs are worth at least $350 billion. The Rothschild family, known as the House of Rothschild, are the richest people on earth today with assets that total at least $350billion. As a European banking dynasty, of German-Jewish origin, they established European banking and finance houses starting in the late 18th century. The family’s wealth was divided amongst hundreds of descendants, and today, Rothschild businesses encompass the fields of mining, banks, private asset management, mixed farming, wine, and charities.
3. JOHN D ROCKEFELLER – $340 BILLION (BORN 1839) John D. Rockefeller, third on the list, is the richest American to have ever lived. At the time of his death in 1937, he was worth $340billion in today’s dollars – he was also the first American acquire a net worth over $1billion.
4. ANDREW CARNEGIE – $310 BILLION (BORN 1835)
5. TSAR NICHOLAS II OF RUSSIA – $300 BILLION (BORN 1868)
6. MIR OSMAN ALI KHAN – $236 BILLION (BORN 1886)
7. WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR – $229.5 BILLION (BORN 1028)
8. MUAMMAR GADDAFI – $200 BILLION (BORN 1942)
9. HENRY FORD – $199 BILLION (BORN 1863)
10. CORNELIUS VANDERBILT – $185 BILLION (BORN 1794)
11. ALAN RUFUS – $178.65 BILLION (BORN 1040)
12. BILL GATES – $136 BILLION (BORN 1955)
You can find the rest of the list here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218025/Meet-14th-Century-African-king-richest-man-world-time-adjusted-inflation.html